I recently mentioned on this blog that I was thinking about taking it in another direction. I’m toying with the idea of making this more of a themed blog, instead of picking a new theme to write about each day. I don’t know if that would restrict me so much that I wouldn’t be able to write enough every day, or if it would be the right amount of limitations that would help direct my creativity. I’m also considering the possibility of changing the theme every week, but other than some sort of exercise I’m not sure what I would gain from that. Overall, this could win me some readers, but I might lose some as well.
I haven’t made up my mind what I’m going to do, but with this list I thought I could throw out some ideas for possible themes for this blog. I’m not saying that I’m an expert in any of these fields. I’m saying that these are themes that I’ve seen elsewhere on the Internet and might be worth considering. Well, they would be for somebody, anyway.
- Diet Tips. People want to lose weight. I’ve lost weight. Wouldn’t I be helpful if I passed on my knowledge to others? However, as I’m not a medical professional, nor did I consult one for my own needs, I could run a great risk if I try offering medical advice to others. Aside from “eat better and jog every other day” I don’t know how specific I can get.
- Inspirational messages. I could come up with quotes, sure. But I think the real fun would be trying to write motivational blog posts. However, I would rather do the opposite and encourage over-achievers to do less. What would the opposite of motivational be?
- Life management. I could do this, although I’m not sure if I could write this with enough regularity. I probably would have to include more pictures, too, which is something I’ve always been adverse to do (not for any real reason other than I usually don’t want to make the effort). I also don’t have as busy a schedule as a lot of people. I don’t have a family to take care of nor do I engage in many activities outside of work (although I want to change that). Really, I don’t have much of a life to manage.
- Something “nerdy” like comic books, video games, cartoons, etc. Well, I’ve certainly done my share of such posts. But I always hesitated writing about this stuff too much. I felt like nobody would take my blog seriously if I did. I don’t like having that bias against myself but there you go. (Side note: as I was writing this paragraph, what I consider to be a pretty good idea entered my head: why don’t I just keep up with the idea of making each day a different theme? I could keep Tuesday as Random Thoughts and Sunday as Lists, but then add something like “Nerdy Saturday” or “World News Roundup Friday.” You get the idea.)
- Metal. I only include this because I tried it once. I used to have a separate blog from this one for metal. But aside from concert and album reviews, I didn’t do much with it. Of course, I could keep going with that idea but my metal consumption has been decreasing steadily these days. That’s not to say that I’m not still a fan, but I’m more picky (and cheap).
- Books. I certainly read a lot. But there’s not rhyme or reason to my book selection. Could I really try reviewing new releases all the time? I have the potential there, but the question is knowing what books to buy. I read quickly but even I can’t read (or afford) all of the new books off of the shelf. (Again, this would work as a separate day: Book review Monday, perhaps?)
- Lists. What the hell, why not make every blog post a list? They certainly seem to be popular on the Internet these days. And they do help keep me productive. Just look at the word count on my lists versus my other blog posts. But I think I would get annoyed with doing that after a while. Besides, I still maintain that this blog is primarily my writing exercise above everything else. I don’t want to become a professional list-maker. But they do help at least once a week.
- Parenting tips. That’s a popular topic. But I’m not a parent. I don’t even like kids. I’m all for letting them be kids, just not near me. But wouldn’t that be fun? If I started offering parenting tips with no idea what I’m talking about? That could be a laugh for a while but I think I might get in trouble.
- Humor. I like to think that the humor in my writing is improving these days but I don’t think it’s quite there yet to devote an entire blog to it. But it’s certainly something to strive for.
- Travel. By “travel” I mean people who might be interested in coming here. I don’t get out much. I might write about my trip out to Seattle in a couple of weeks but I’m not sure yet if I’m taking my laptop or not. But as I don’t usually spend a lot of time researching for this blog post I don’t know if I really want to go out and conduct interviews and such. But a local story now and then wouldn’t hurt, I suppose.
So I have Sunday Lists, Monday Book Reviews, Tuesday Random Thoughts, News Roundup Fridays, Nerdy Saturdays… and then I only need two ideas for Wednesdays and Thursdays. Hey, I formulated this idea while writing this blog. I have to admit that makes me feel good somehow. Writing this thing out actually helped with brainstorming. So, I just need to come up with two more ideas. I’ll probably do something musical, although not strictly metal. What else? What am I missing? Does anybody have any thoughts?